Monday, October 18, 2010

gold fish bubble


I was hoping things might improve with my local public housing office now that I was in a new place.
Silly me.
Ten weeks later I'm still waiting for them to install curtain rails.
Male passers by can see into my unit, even during the day, judging by the waves they give me.
At night I'm a sitting duck for anybody wanting to do a drive by shooting.
I know how a gold fish in a bowl must feel.
But all is not lost.
Someone I know came up with the bright suggestion of sticking bubble wrap on the windows.
It works!
And it will have to do until I can afford to pay to install curtain rails myself, it seems.
This was despite being told by the public housing office that it would do it for me before I moved in.
Something else I have had lumbered on me is the unwanted role of unofficial 'gatekeeper' of the pathway that runs beside my place.
The gate has been unlocked since I moved in and non-residents from the next street have been using it as a short-cut to the shopping centre.
One of the other residents complained to me about this and told me to keep the gate locked.
After I had aquiesed to her demand, a male neighbour and regular trespasser expressed his annoyance about his thoroughfare being blocked, and in defiance jumped the gate.
The next morning I found that the driver's side mirror of my car had been gouged out and thrown in the gutter.
The residents of the three other units who might need to pass through this gate are all disabled, leaving me holding the hot potato.
In public housing it is very hard to live your own life and keep to yourself because there are always encroachments by others that make this impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment